Blog & News

If you have a child support order in Maryland but are not receiving child support, there are three actions you can take to begin receiving the child support payments and recouping amounts past due.

Contact the Child Support Enforcement Administration

First, contact your county Child Support Enforcement Administration (CSEA). In Maryland, the CSEA can receive and track child support payments. The CSEA can collect ongoing child support by withholding the payments from the obligor’s wages and unemployment insurance, up to a certain percentage. The CSEA also has the authority to collect past due child support by the same means and, depending on the amount owed, can also:

Intercept the obligor’s Federal and State income tax refunds, workers compensation awards, and lottery winnings;

Garnish the obligor’s assets;

Issue liens on the obligor’s property; and

Seize the obligor’s assets to pay the child support.

The CSEA also can impose sanctions on an obligor who is not paying child support. For example, depending on the amount owed, the CSEA can suspend an obligor’s driver’s, professional, or occupational license until the obligor pays in full; report the obligor to a consumer credit reporting agency; and file for contempt against the obligor.

Request an Earnings Withholdings Order

Second, at the time the amount of child support owed reaches an amount equal to more than 30 days of support, file a Request for an Earnings Withholdings Order. An Earnings Withholdings Order instructs the obligor’s employer to deduct the amount of child support owed from the obligor’s pay and pay the funds to the payee or the CSEA.

File Motions for Relief with the Court

Third, you can file three types of motions against the obligor:

a) File a Motion to Enforce the Child Support Order.This asks the court to enforce the child support order and order the obligor to pay what is required in the order.

b) File a Motion for Judgment. This is a request for the court to enter a judgment in favor of you and against the obligor for the total amount of child support owed. A judgment states that the obligor owes you a specific amount. Some judgments accrue interest until paid. Judgments can be “attached” to certain types of property owned by the obligor, allowing the payee to collect the amount stated in the judgment.

c) File a Motion to Adjudicate the Obligor in Contempt. Contempt is a finding that the obligor has violated a court order. A finding of contempt can impose serious penalties, including being sent to jail until such time as the obligor complies with the court order.

Maryland law permits persons to request the court to consider ordering either party to pay the other party’s costs and counsel fees related to recovering child support arrears and enforcing a child support order; such requests should be made in the initial filing. In determining whether to award costs and fees, the court will consider the financial status and needs of each party and whether there was substantial justification for bringing, maintaining, or defending the proceeding.

If you are not receiving the child support owed, it is important to timely file suit. There are affirmative defenses and statutes of limitations that can prevent or curtail your recovery if you fail to act in a timely manner.

If you have minor children and you are not getting child support, you should consult a family law attorney about how to collect the child support.

If you need help with recouping unpaid child support money, contact us today.

Starting on March 11, 2014, USCIS will implement a new process to receive and adjudicate applications for civil surgeon designation centrally at the National Benefits Center. This process change requires physicians seeking civil surgeon designation to file a formal application at a USCIS Lockbox. Centralizing the civil surgeon application process will:

Improve the application intake process;

Enhance USCIS’s ability to manage and track civil surgeon applications;

Promote consistency and uniformity in USCIS decisions on civil surgeon-related matters; and

Improve overall efficiency and integrity of the program.

Once centralization goes into effect, physicians seeking civil surgeon designation will need to complete Form I-910, Application for Civil Surgeon Designation, and pay a $615 application fee. This new application form and process implements provisions of the agency’s 2010 Fee Rule. It will not affect current civil surgeons. Prospective civil surgeons should not file the form and fee prior to March 11, 2014.

Seize the obligor’s assets to pay the child support.

Previously, civil surgeon designation has been a local process at the district or field office with jurisdiction over the prospective civil surgeon’s office location. The new process is detailed in Volume 8, Part C of the USCIS Policy Manual, which replaces the civil surgeon designation guidance found in Chapter 83.4 of the Adjudicator’s Field Manual (AFM). The new policy on civil surgeons:

Reaffirms and clarifies the purpose, role, and responsibilities of civil surgeons;

Outlines the professional qualifications needed for civil surgeon designation;

Explains the application requirements for civil surgeon designation;

Clarifies the process for adjudicating civil surgeon applications;

Provides consolidated guidance on blanket civil surgeon designation;

Reaffirms USCIS’s ability to revoke civil surgeon designation and clarifies revocation grounds; and

Provides guidance on maintenance of the civil surgeon list..

If you are a physician seeking to file a potential I-910 contact us today, and let us help you.

Legally, you, the tenant, don’t have to vacate.

Your tenancy is not affected. You can remain in the property until the tenancy ends. If your lease stipulates that you have another 6 months left until the end date, then that remains binding. You don’t have to allow access for viewings, the only time the landlord can force entry is strictly under emergencies or according to any terms specified in the lease. If you feel like leaving early, you could surrender the lease in exchange for a cash settlement.

If your landlord has sent you a 30 day notice to vacate because they want to sell their home, contact us today to ensure your rights are protected.

If you’re injured in a car accident, you’ll likely incur expenses related to the accident such as medical treatment, rehabilitation, renting a car or using a taxi while your car is being repaired. It’s likely that while your expenses increase, you may lose income due to your inability to work. In addition, you may also lose the ability to perform various activities of normal daily living, in both the short and long term, and may also have pain and suffering as a result of the accident.

You can be compensated for these types of injuries and expenses. In most cases, car accident victims seek what are known as compensatory damages. These are intended to “make you whole again” and place you back in the same position you were before the accident.There are two types of compensatory damages – economic and non-economic.

Economic damages are awarded for those “out of pocket expenses” that you’ve incurred, while non-economic damages are awarded for any pain and suffering you may have experienced. Both types may be available to auto accident victims in determing the value of their claim.

If you are a victim of a car accident, call us today for a free case evaluation and let us fight for you.

Here is a list of the red light cameras in Montgomery County. Please drive SAFELY!

NB Colesville Road @ Dale Drive.

SB Colesville Road @ Fenton Street.

Read more

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) today began issuing redesigned certificates for citizenship and naturalization for individuals who request replacement certificates (Form N-561, Replacement Certificate of Citizenship, and Form N-570, Replacement Certificate of Naturalization).

Read more

    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."  This is the infamous second amendment.  In simple words, this amendment gives the right to bare arms.  This amendment  was very effective in the past when it was truly necessary. What about now?

    Back in the late 1700’s our country was still in confederalism.  Each state was its own province, the individual states were more powerful than the federal government.  At that time everyday citizens were also the militia.  They stored weapons in their homes and were ready to fight at any point.  At this point in time it was the government versus the people.  It was a constant fight that required the right to bear arms.

Well let's talk about the 21st century. The circumstances have changed over the past couple of centuries.  We have a federal government and the armed forces. This means we no longer need to collect weapons in our houses, right?  Yet, many citizens still carry weapons legally and illegally in their household.  Madeleine Morgenster from “Blaze” reports, “the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents.”  That doesn’t even include what’s going around  in the black market.  

 Kevork Djansezian from NBC news reports, “Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention.” Gun violence has been a huge problem in the United  States and once again, there’s an amendment  to blame.  The amount of guns floating around America contribute a lot to the problem.  

Many people want to get rid of the second amendment.  But many people feel that it isn’t necessary, they’d rather own guns and use them to their own discretion.  It’s not that the United States lets anyone or everyone own a gun.  There are rules, regulations and requirements.  But based on the statistics listed above, something isn’t right.  There are people dieing and being wounded senselessly by guns every day.

There are millions of registered and unregistered guns floating throughout the United States and it’s been that way since the birth of our nation.  That raises the question; can the amount of guns in the United States actually be controlled? Or has the 2nd Amendment caused permanent damage to our nation?

“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside.”  Sound familiar? It’s the 14 amendment from our country's Constitution. It’s been there since 1868, 148 years to be exact.  But the question is will it still remain?

Immigration Laws have always been a controversial topic in the United States, and during the election season it has become even more controversial.  Many citizens of the United States have parents that aren’t US citizens; also known as “birthright citizenship.”  This is where the controversy starts.  “Republicans say that birthright citizenship needs to be changed to stem illegal immigration,” (Tal Kopan, CNN).  Immigrants having children in the United States doesn't seem to be the problem.  It seems that the problem is immigrants remaining in the country illegally to raise their children.

Let’s look at the facts.  Second-generation immigrant children are children born in the United States by at least one immigrant. reports that, “In 2014, second generation children (under age 18) accounted for 88% (15.4 million) of all children with immigrant parents.”  That’s a huge percentage of the population.  But it’s also reported that, “in 2009-2013, approximately 5.1 million children under age 18 lived with an unauthorized immigrant parent, representing 7 percent of the U.S. child population… 79% (4.1 million) of these children were US citizens, 19% (959,000) were unauthorized and 2% (113,000) were legally present.” To sum this all up, there are infact a lot of people using the birthright citizenship to their advantage.

The question is, what can be done about this?  Most politicians believe something needs to be done about this situation, but everyone has a different idea in regards to solving the problem.  Politicians like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Donald Trump, believe that the 14th amendment should come to an end.  While others  like Karen Tumlin (managing attorney at the National Immigration Law Center), believe that different measures should be taken.  Many people feel that the 14th amendment can be defined differently to slightly modify its meaning. Karen Tumlin said, “This is very clear language in a constitutional amendment… We don’t alter the constitution lightly in this country.”  Jeb Bush also argued “...there's a targeted way you can deal with this. But to suggest that people born in this country are not United States citizens because they don't have this in the Constitution, I just reject out of hand."

The question weighing on everyone’s mind is, what will happen next for the immigrants in the U.S.? Ultimately the supreme court makes the final decision, but this will always be a controversial topic.  The decision of the next U.S. president will change the lives of people in this nation, and all over the world.

1 | 2 Next>>

Copyright © 2015 The Mercy Law Firm, LLC. All Rights Reserved